Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Recipe Monday, Friends.
 
I made a new recipe this week and tried to use the forgotten (but still good) food from our pantry.
 
We reorganized our pantry this week (post coming at some point), and I found a bunch of good food that I forgot I had.
 
One of the ingredients I found was wild rice . . . pretty standard, but forgotton in my world.
 
I found a few different recipes for a chicken and wild rice casserole, so I just took what I wanted from each and put together a little something of my own.
 
I thought it came out pretty good . . . Tim said it was good but lacked flavor.  Whatever.
 
The best part about it is that I usually have everything I need already stocked in my house.
That is always a win for this mama.
 
I had frozen shredded chicken in the freezer, so I took that out to defrost.
 
I always try to keep frozen chicken in the freezer.
I always need it, and it is so nice not to have to cook it before making a casserole or quesadillas or the like.

I cooked up the rice and sauteed some chopped onions.


Then I just mixed the rest of the ingredients and put some bradcrumbs/parmesan cheese on top with slivers of butter.


Then I cooked this bad boy on 350 degrees for thirty minutes.

While it cooked, I whipped up some squash as a side.


And dinner was served.


Here is my recipe:

Ingredients:
1 6 ounce package long grain and wild rice mix

1 medium onion, chopped

Mushrooms (canned or fresh)

2 tablespoons butter

1 10 3/4 cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup

½ cup sour cream

1/3 cup chicken broth

2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey

1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs (or smashed ritz crackers)

Directions:
1. Prepare rice mix according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook onion and mushrooms in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, and broth. Stir in cooked rice and chicken.

3. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Place butter on top to brown.

4. Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 4-6 servings.

Enjoy!
Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment