Sunday, October 14, 2012

Birthing a Baby

Well, we are home.
I wanted to get Lexi's "birth story" down before I forgot.

Because Tim is working in Fort Myers and this was my third baby, the doctor decided we could induce at week 39.

I was a little anxious about being induced because I know there can be a lot of risks.

But after the experience I have to say that we were so blessed with a great induction, and I would do it again in a second.

We had to be at the hospital at 6 am to do all the paperwork.

Our doctor got there around 7:30 and checked to see if I had made any more progress.

As of Monday in her office the baby was still too high for her to break my water before starting the pitocin.

When I got there on Friday the baby had gotten lower (one of many answers to prayer) and the doctor said she could break my water right then. 

She stuck her lovely hook in and was taking quite a while.

I guess Lexi was acting like a plug and the water wouldn't break.

She told me she might have scratched her head, so she stopped.

Once I got up to use the bathroom, though, I started leaking, so it actually did work.

My doctor wasn't on call that day, but she was doing me a favor by delivering. 
As soon as she broke it she left to see patients in her office.

She gave me the advice not too wait too long to get my epidural because on third babies things can progress rapidly.
(That is great advice, BTW)

Around 10 or 10:30 am the contractions started getting somewhat painful, so the nurse checked me.

I was at 5 centimeters, so I decided to go ahead and get the epidural.
(No, I don't have any problems with getting an epidural and never think about going without it).

I do, however, like to have the actual anesthesiologist do my epidurals.

The doctor came in and ended up having to stick me 8 times.

Yes, EIGHT times.

He said my back is extra strong, and I don't have much space between vertebrae to stick the catheter in.

This is interesting because I have had two before, and neither doctor has ever had this trouble or told me about my strong back.


It was so painful because he kept hitting the bone.

But honestly all I could think about the whole time was "what if I can't get one at all?"

I was in no way mentally prepared for natural childbirth.

Thankfully, (and thanks to the Lord) he finally got one in on the 8th try and all was good for a while.

Within 45 minutes I started to feel extreme pressure.


I called the nurse, and she told me to press the epidural button for a little extra kick of medicine.

So I did.

Still extreme pressure.

She told me to wait 15 minutes.

I did.

Still extreme pressure.

I finally convinced her to check me and the baby was "right there" to quote the nurse.

So . . . she goes and calls my doc.

And she tells me not to push . . . much easier said than done.

All the while someone had to call Tim to come back up to the room because he had just walked down to the cafeteria with our boys and grandpas to eat lunch.

We thought things would take a little while, but we obviously were very off in our timing.
(Aren't we always "off" when it comes to God's timing on things.)

We waited about 15 minutes for the doctor to get there.

The doctor's office is right across the street, so it should only take her five minutes to get there.

My nurse doesn't seem concerned, but I was getting a little anxious at this point.

I turned to my mom and told her that I have the doctor's cell phone number . . . Let's call her.

She had called me from her phone the day before to ask if it was ok for her medical student to watch the birth.

Again,, this was a total blessing because we were able to call her and get her there immediately.

She explained later that when the nurse had called the office all she said was, "Send the doctor now."

Well, the ladies at the front desk had no idea what she was talking about because my doctor wasn't on call.

So they just let the call go.

Thank goodness we called ourselves or who knows when she would have gotten there.

I told her I would never use the cell phone number again:)

Unless it was medically necessary . . . obviously.

Anyways, she runs in.

Tim puts his gown and gloves on.

Our doctor always lets him deliver our babies . . . which is such an awesome experience.

Baby comes out in 3 minutes flat.

I was having a conversation with the doctor the entire time.

It was seriously a dream delivery.

Don't hate.

God is good.

And He totally provided beyond all my wildest dreams.

We are so thankful and don't take it for granted.

Lexi entered the world at 12:24pm at 7 lbs. and 6 oz . . . 20.5 inches long.

I told Tim afterwards I didn't even have to miss a meal.

I ate breakfast before we left for the hospital and got to eat lunch as soon as I delivered.

Again, we can't even believe how God blessed us.

We know many were praying for us, and we are so thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment