Monday, September 12, 2011

One Thousand Gifts, Chapter 11 & Afterword + New Book Club Read

I finally finished One Thousand Gifts, and as an overall analysis I would say I really enjoyed it. I did not enjoy every word, and I wouldn't say it was one of the best books I ever read. I would say that her ideas were extremely eye-opening, and I will continue to think about this book for a long while.

On to chapter 11 . . .
On page 203 Ann says, "It is impossible to give thanks and simultaneouly feel fear. This is the anti-anxiety medicine I try to lay in my wide-open palm everyday." In this chapter Ann talks about a trip she took to Paris to visit a friend. She went sans kids and husband, so it was a very big deal. She was anxious to say the least, and she brings it all back to this idea of thanksgiving in everything and in every circumstance. It is a very comforting and doable idea.

The rest of the chapter got a little "different." It was not my favorite part of the book, so I will just leave it at that. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to combat anxiety and find joy in all circumstances.

The list continues . . .
91. Visit from the in-laws
92. Organizing my garage (the finished product)
93. Getting rid of unused toys
94. New shelf for toys
95. Sick baby cuddles
96. Date night (our first in months and months)
97. Free movie thanks to vouchers
98. Hot water
99. Looking at old pictures
100. A pay raise in my tutoring job

Now, on to the book club idea. I wanted to pick a book to review or chat about every week. I thought the best way to go about it would be to read a chapter a week. I know that isn't much, but it gives people time to jump in whenever they want. We could bump it up to two chapters a week if it seems to be too slow. I will just feel it out as we go.

The first book I want to read is Salting Roses. It is about a girl who finds out at 25 years old that she was kidnapped. I have heard really good things about it.

In order to do a proper review I am not reading any of these books before we read them together on here. I don't know if I will like them or not, so you will get my honest opinion:)

Each week please comment on the things I write, so we can have a sort of discussion board like a real book club. I will be writing about chapter 1 next week, so you have between now and Sunday, 9/18 to get the book and read chapter one. We will have our "book club" on Sundays. I had to put this up on Monday this week because of 9/11, but we will be back on schedule for 9/18. Talk to you then:)

No comments:

Post a Comment