Sunday, July 17, 2011

For Peter and Whit, Whit

Today is my brother and his wife's one year wedding anniversary. Seriously? Why yes, seriously. My little bro has been married for a full year. I cannot believe it has been 365 days since he said "I do." I can't believe it has been 365 days since I walked down the aisle 8 months pregnant with Ethan (btw, that child will be a year old in one month). I can't believe it has been 365 days since my sister cried her eyes out all the way down the aisle. I can't believe it has been 365 days since my grandmother forced the doctors to let her out of the hospital, so she could be there.

My favorite memory of that day was of my son George. He was the ringbearer, and looked super cute in his mini-tuxedo (everyone else told me that, I am not being biased:). On the morning of the wedding we were in the church taking pictures, and we told George not to step on the rose petals that covered the white aisle that Whitney would walk down. He obeyed, which is usually his way. Later on we all stood in line to walk down that same aisle. All the bridesmaids went, and then it was time for the ringbearer. Well, he was cued to begin, and we all saw him hesitate a bit and then carry on in an extremely slow manner. He was three years old at the time, so you might think this is typical behavior for a three year old who was shy or unsure. Those two qualities have never charactarized my son, so I knew something else had to be going on. Sure enough we all began to notice that he was hopping and side-stepping to miss each and every rose petal on the ground. No one had told him that at this point in the wedding it was ok to step on the petals. He made it down the aisle eventually, and everyone in the audience could not beleive his obedience and determination. I tried to tell them, but his actions spoke louder than words that day.
So many milestones mark that day. It was an unforgettable event. I know it was one of the most important days Peter and Whitney will ever have, but I also think it makes my top 5 list so far in my life. I got to watch my brother make a covenant with God and his choice of girl to spend everyday for the rest of his life loving her. I got to watch my husband stand next to my brother as his best man. I got to watch my three year old son walk/hop down the aisle in his adorable penguin suit. I got to stand on the stage and feel my unborn baby kick and squirm to let me know he was a part of the day too. It was such an incredible day, and I am so happy to have each and every memory.


Whitney has a blog, and she wrote a sweet post today about her memories. Go there and give her some love - Whitney Writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment