Friday, July 15, 2011

One Thousand Gifts, Chapter 2

I finshed reading chapter 2 and watching the book club video yesterday. It was another incredible chapter with so much to ponder. I could never read more than one chapter a day because it is just so thought-provoking. I want to let it all sink in before jumping to the next idea. I am going to continue with writing out a few quotes from the book, and just giving you my thoughts as I read. Again, I really encourage you to read this book if you haven't already.

The whole premise of this chapter is the Greek word, "Eucharisto." It envelopes the meaning of thanking God for His grace in all circumstances, which will in turn bring us joy. One of my favorite quotes from this chapter is on page 33. Ann says, "As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible. Joy is always possible. Whenever, meaning - now, wherever, meaning - here."
This shows me that we can always find a true sense of joy if we look to the ways God has blessed us. There are more ways than any of us could ever count. No matter what we go through or how many bad times we have, God is always blessing. We need to be thankful for His grace. That is the only way to acquire true joy. I want that ever-abiding joy. Don't you?

In another place on the same page she talks about "the things we need to see before we die." People seem to think they have to have a list of things to see or places to go before they die. Ann has a different perspective, and I tend to agree with her. "The only place we need see before we die is this place of seeing God, here and now." It all goes back to the idea of giving thanks in all circumstances. That is all we truly have to do before we die. He has given so much. The only thing we can give back and the only thing He wants us to give back is thanksgiving.

Lastly, she gives a wonderful thought followed by a question. "Our salvation in Christ is real, yet the completeness of that salvation is not fully realized in a life until the life realizes the need to give thanks. In everything?" Why, yes, Ann, I believe you taught me that it is in everything.

Amen and Amen:)

No comments:

Post a Comment