Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mema

Today we are heading out to surprise my mother-in-law for her birthday. I wanted to write a little "Ode to Mary" because it is probably pretty rare that blogs have "odes" to mother-in-laws. Mine is something special, so she totally deserves it.

Tim and I got engaged after dating for three months. I think I had met his parents once or twice before that day. Needless to say, I did not know them very well when we got married. I did know him well, though, so I figured his parents couldn't be too bad to raise a Godly man like him. They seemed like sweet enough people in all the short visits I had had with them, so I didn't think twice about marrying into the Bettelli family. (After all, my mom always told me that you marry the family, so I kept that in mind while dating . . . and you should too, all you non-marrieds).

After we were married and even more so after we had George, I began to appreciate my in-laws so much more. They live four hours away, so we didn't get to see them too often, but each visit became sweeter and sweeter the more I got to know them. They are both such caring people who would give anything they had to anyone of their kids or grandkids. My grandma always said that they are a picture of the Holy Spirit, and I think that decription is right on.

Specifically, my mother-in-law . . . she has taught me so many things in the almost six years I have been married to Tim. She loves her kids and grandkids more than anything in the world. She is a great homemaker and truly strives to be better at it everyday, even though she has been at the job for many, many years. She has given me Tim's favorite recipes, so I can make him the things he loves the most. She has truly been such a help to me in this journey of motherhood and homemaking that I am in the midst of right now. Above all else, though, she has taught me a lot about Jesus. Not just in conversation, but in how she lives her life. She is a picture of grace, and I want to be like her when I grow up:)

Mema,
We love you so much! You are a wonderful grandmother to my children, and the best mother in law a girl could ask for. I know you love me, which I heard once is even more important than loving the person:) I am so thankful for your mothering abilities because you raised my husband to be the loving husband and father that he is. Thank you for praying for us everyday . . . you know we need it.
Love to ya,
Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment