Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Birthday Extravaganza - Part 1

I don't even know where to start with this explanation of the party we threw Ethan for turning one year old. We decided to do a joint party with our good friends who live a few blocks away. They have an awesome house with a pool and a HUGE backyard.

I want to preface all this by saying . . . I struggle with birthday parties. You will not get that vibe from the pictures seen in this post, but it is true none the less. I really do not want my children to have an entitlement problem. I want the things we do for them to always be gifts that are recieved with gratefulness. I think extravagant birthday parties can lead to a bad attitude on years that doesn't happen. That being said . . . we went all out for this puppy. Waterslide and all.
 

Debra (the second one year old's mom) and I decorated from 9 to 5 on Friday to get everything as ready as we could. We wanted to have fun at the party, so we were trying to get as much out of the way as possible. I also had graduate school orientation on Saturday morning, so I wouldn't be able to do much that day. I made quite a few decorations for the party, so I will be doing some of my first tutorials on this here blog in the near future. It was a "Sesame Street" theme, so I (with the help of my lovely and very talented sister in law) made these cupcakes.

The party started at 4, and it was a blast. We had lots of fun things going on throughout the party. The kids went straight for the water slide and pool for the first hour or so. Around five o'clock we surprised everyone with a guest appearance from the real live Elmo.
 

Stay tuned for part 2 . . . more surprises to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment