Sunday, August 21, 2011

One Thousand Gifts - Chapter 8

This weekend was a complete whirlwind with Ethan's first birthday. There will be birthday posts to come this week, but I wanted to put up my next installment of my book thoughts before today is over.
I just finished chapter 8, and it was a really good one. Ann's family is really feeling the affects of the financial drought in our country, and she is learning how to give thanks through the rough stuff.

She starts the chapter off with a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson that I LOVE. "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen." True that, Ralphy. We have to concentrate on the continuous blessings that God shows us on a daily basis. That is what allows us to continue to trust when things are hard, really hard.

On page 143 she says, "Worry is the facade of taking action when prayer really is." Let's take action when it comes to worry. Let's hit our knees to combat all things that breed anxiety. Let's leave it at God's feet because that is the only "action" that works.

Lastly, on page 151 Ann says, "Count blessings and discover Who can be counted on." This makes me think of the old hymn that I used to sing in middle school. It was called "Count Your Blessings, Name Them One by One." It goes on to say we should count our blessings to see what God has done. That is our marker. Count them up and realize they all come from the only One who can truly be counted on. He won't ever let us down.

My list continues . . .
61. Homeade birthday decorations
62. Birthday party success - fun had by all
63. The birthday party is over:)
64. Sweet time with extended family
65. Winning a cool door prize at graduate school orientation
66. A (new to us) playset in our back yard
67. A family who doesn't mind leftovers
68. The after-party at the pool
69. The baby boy's new Tom's - cutest shoes EVER!
70. Enough towels to last an entire weekend with 12 house guests

No comments:

Post a Comment