Wednesday, August 10, 2011

One Thousand Gifts, Chapter 6

So . . . this chapter wasn't my favorite. It was a lot harder to get through than the previous chapters. I did take a few important things away from it, though, and that is what is important.

I loved a quote on page 110 that said, "Every moment I live, I live bowed to something. And if I don't see God, I'll bow down before something else." Are you kidding me? How true is that? Every single moment we live, we are bowing to something. I want to be bowed to God and nothing else. I achieve this goal maybe 5% of the time. That is giving myself a lot of credit. If I kept that thought in my mind at all times, I would be so much more aware of my idols and the things I focus on that aren't of God.

Another excellent thought from Ann was on the same page. "How I want to see the weight of glory break my thick scales, the weight of glory smash the chains of desperate materialism, split the numbing shell of deadening entertainment, bust up the ice of catatonic hearts." I love the imagery of these statements. I want that too, Ann.

My Continuing List:
41. Long, long walks with my boys
42. A neighborhood where everyone waves
43. Cook outs around a pool
44. Quiet nap times
45. Free cookies at Publix
46. My kitchen
47. Husband Time
48. Special Birthday Shirts
49. A Whole year with Ethan
50. The tv show, Brothers & Sisters
51. Toys and more toys
52. Library
53. Largo Central Park train ride
54. Abundance of boy clothes
55. A niece who had a problem-free surgery with an excellent outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment