Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Does this ever happen to you?

I hope I am not the only one this happens to.  I need help with the psychology of this problem, so if you have any insight please send it my way.
 
I have this problem with making a long to-do list.  I try to keep it within the confines of time in one day, but it is usually overly ambitious if I am being honest.  That is not the problem, though.
 
I make this to-do list, but instead of doing the things on it that are of the most importance or highest priority I do other things.  Not things like watch tv or take a nap (which I do my fair share of), but things that aren't even fun. 
 
Yesterday I had a list with things like sending cards, doing Bible study, starting my 20 (yes, TWENTY or more) page paper for grad school,  putting away laundry that has been washed but unfolded for two weeks or more (I lost count), and so on on it.  You get the idea.
 
But what did I spend the majority of my day doing?
 
I switched my boys' wardrobes from summer/spring to fall/winter.  Yep, that is right.  I went through each and every item they had in their closet and drawers and picked out the things that didn't fit or weren't season appropriate.  Then I went through the bins and bins of clothes we have stored away and picked out things that fit and were season appropriate.  Then I had to hang all of that up.  Took quite some time.  
 





 
Was that even on the to-do list?  Nope.
 
Have I done this to my closet, you might ask?  Nope.  And I probably won't.
 
Is it getting cold where we live?  Nope.  High of like 85 today.
 
Do I enjoy doing this?  Nope.  Getting my kids to try on clothes is like torture.
 
So please, someone tell me why I would sway away from a perfectly appropriate and un-fun to-do list to do something less appropriate and even more un-fun?
 
I have no answers today, only questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment